St. Eligius Recap 2023

 This past Saturday I participated in my second A&S competition at St. Eligius in Dragonship Haven.

My project was actually a science experiment instead of something created in an attempt to push my limits.

When I created the funeral pillow panel last year, the extant piece was made out of 100% silk and was 26 stitches to the inch.  Using a 50/50 wool/silk blend of commercial yarn, I was able to achieve 20 stitches to the inch on size 0000 needles.

I'm comfortable spinning fairly fine yarn, so my experiment was to see if I could spin fiber fine enough to knit a swatch which would meet the 26 stitches per inch parameter.

Using two dropspindles that each weighed 19 grams, one wooden and one tahkli, I spun two samples each of 50/50 merino/silk and 100% mulberry silk.  Each sample was then plied (double strand) on a different dropspindle and knit into a swatch 30 stitches wide using size 0000 needles.



I chose the two different types of spindles because the Tahkli would have come from the Silk Road along with the silk fiber, whereas the wooden spindle is more common through the European countries.  Spinning wheels were not developed as spinning technology at this time.


I was honestly surprised both by how the spinning and the swatches turned out.  I thought that the 100% silk spun on the tahkli would have been the finest.  Instead, the 50/50 spun on the drop spindle was the closest- meeting 25 stitches to the inch.

I did not enjoy spinning the mulberry silk.  Perhaps if I hadn't been as concerned about the width of the thread it would have been better.  I am looking to obtain silk cocoons to spin the catapillar silk and see if that would change things.

I didn't win in the novice category, but that's ok.  I came and did what I wanted to do and felt good about my presentation.

This was a great event and I feel like I talked to so many people about my experiment.  I was taught a different spinning technique on the tahkli that I can't wait to try, was given encouragement in exploring different aspects of Spanish knitting and spinning, and was able to geek out with fellow fiber artists.

Things that I learned from this presentation/project:  
1. When comparing items and there's multiple samples, use different backgrounds to match the samples so it's easier visually to compare like to like.
2. Take a picture of your setup!  It's good for recaps as well as making sure your display is appealing.
3. Business cards are a great way to share your contact information/blog.  Mine are now in the process of being made.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adventures at the MFA

Welcome and the beginning